Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.– Psalm 119:165
Abundant peace and a steadfast life are the two blessings for those who love the word of God.
We give more importance, priority, time, effort, energy, and sacrifice to the one we love the most. An incredible artist and a bibliophile linger for hours just because they love what they do. Amidst a busy schedule, we always find time to spend time with our children just because we love them
In the same way, if we love the word of God then we will do everything that is required to spend quality time in it.
Even though many Christians know the importance of the Bible, they are unable to give much attention to it every day. Reasons may vary from it being a difficult book to comprehend or they find it as a boring thing to do or it is hard to keep in memory and follow, etc.
If such is the case, then how can we love the Word of God?
The change of our attitude towards reading the Bible will help us to overcome these struggles –
- Pick up the Bible with the intention to learn something from it
- Let the main purpose of reading the Bible be ‘to know God‘
- Considering it to be a personal letter from him
- Realizing that quality time in word is more important than quantity
- Reading the Bible when your mind is refreshed and your body is not tired
- Recognizing that it is the source of all wisdom, has all solutions to carry out our daily life and teaches how to lead a life pleasing to God.
- Understanding the benefits of meditating the scriptures ignites the desire to read the word of God.
A definite promise stated in Psalm 1 is that for those who love the word and meditate upon it day and night: “whatever he does prospers”.
So now, let’s ponder the life of David-the author of the above verse. Generally, he is identified as one who loves to worship God. But 119th Psalm reveals him as a staunch lover of God’s word. Almost all 176 verses reflect the magnitude of God’s word from different angles.
The following verses reveal David’s love-
- I rejoice in God’s word as much as in all riches – v 14
- Your testimonies are my delight and my counselors – v 24
- I delight in your instructions – v 70
- Your instructions are more valuable to me than millions of gold and silver and finest gold – v 72, 127
- If your law had not been my delight, then I would have perished in my affliction – v 92
- I was thinking about your instructions which I love, all day long – v 97
- Your laws are my treasure and I rejoice in your word like one who discovers a great treasure – v 111,162
- Your word is perfectly true, lasts forever, is trustworthy, is the lamp, light and is sweeter than honey– v 142, 152,138,105,103
- I pant with expectation longing for your commands – v 131
- I rise before dawn and have put my hope in your words – v 147
- I stay awake through the night thinking about your promises – v 148
- In pressure and stress, I find joy in your commands – v 143
We can alike infer from further verses below, how the delightful passion he had for the word of God made him a strong man preventing from backsliding.
- I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.- v 9,11
- Even princes sit and speak against me, but I will meditate on your decrees.- v 23
- Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles. – v 50
- I have worked hard at obeying your commandments – v 94
- Though the wicked hide along the way to kill me, I will quietly keep my mind on your laws.- v 95
- Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are my constant guide – v 98
- I have more insight than my teachers, for I am always thinking of your laws – v 99
- Your word is my source of hope – v 114
- While I meditated, the fire burned – Ps 39:3
Your word is very pure(tested and tried); Therefore Your servant loves it– Psalm 119:140
Oh! How he tasted the scriptures! He also says that because God’s laws are fair, he praises 7 times a day – v 164
From all these verses we understand how the love for God’s word impacted his life in all swings of life, giving him success and defending him from stumbling.
Lord! Let the passion for your Word thrive more and more as we commit ourselves today to read, meditate, and apply your living word in our lives!